On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Mark Tinka wrote: |->On Wednesday 11 February 2009 03:02:41 am Keith wrote: |-> |->> The 3550 being replaced has no vtp domain name. Is it |->> possible to remove the vtp domain name without deleting |->> the vlan.dat file? I have looked over the TAC but see |->> nothing really regarding removing a vtp domain name. Lots |->> about adding one, not about removing one. |-> |->No clear way to do this, today, without deleting the |->'vlan.dat' file. Wish that could be fixed. |-> |->But like you and others have said, maintaining VTP |->Transparent mode will ensure it stays away from VTP. |-> |->We used to "manually" clear VTP domain names, but recently |->found a batch of switches that had them configured. It's too |->much work to clear that, but we just say "no" to VTP anyway.
Yes, not being able to delete a vtp domain name seems like something that should be able to be done from the command line, but there must be a good reason for it. I have only played with vtp in our lab rack of gear, never used it in a real network. Looking through the archives of this list, I see some have had some bad experiences with vtp. Something I wish to avoid. I have put the switch in transparent mode so it will not send/recieve vtp updates, just in case. Thanks, Keith _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
