Lamar Owen wrote:

The first thing I look for when this sort of things occurs is 'clock source line' in the configuration.

Already checked.

It's also possible the ADM is sending you a too-hot signal; you can simulate an attenuator for testing by slightly pulling the SC for the receive out; this simulates an air-gap attenuator. If you can get an improvement with a slight air-gap, it may be too hot from them to you, and you'll need to attenuate.

Is it possible for the signal to be too hot for an Engine 3 card, while not too hot for an Engine 0 card? We had none of these OSPF events before switching cards. Unfortunately, I wasn't checking for PSE before.

Have your read http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk482/tk607/technologies_tech_note09186a008009464b.shtml (Troubleshooting PSE and NSE Events on POS Interfaces)? A Positive Stuff Event indicates a clock slip somewhere. (or the other things you mentioned; seems you have likely read this already.....)

Yep, read that.

The most revealing line of this is that the POS LC's themselves do not do any stuffing, and those path PSE's are being reported by the SONET cloud. So it could be the interstital hop clock slipping.

My suspicion is the carrier-carrier handoff, though I'm quick to remind myself that the OSPF problems only showed up when we switched cards.

pt