On Apr 23, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

Why 2 at each IDC? Since each box acts as a backup for the other, if IDC #1 goes down - then the GSS at IDC #2 takes over.

Because if IDC #1 goes offline entirely, your DNS for whatever services you're running are now hanging by a single thread in IDC #2, until IDC #1 comes back up.

What benefit, other than to Cisco share value, would someone get to having 2x GSS at each IDC?

See above. I'm not a salesman, I derive no benefit from suggesting folks overload on GSSes. From an availability standpoint, that's simply my considered professional opinion, YMMV.