I can't imagine any kind of environment that would need 300 or more lines of
ACL, I'm sure most of it is historical trash that can be disposed.
I'd suggest you to try to determine what do you REALLY need and create new ACL
based on actual and updated needs, and then just delete the unused old ones.
I have some long ACLs which I'm used to create divided by sections, according
to protocols, then most to less specific, stating from permitted and ending
with the denies, even when implied I like to put them so it's clear to others,
e.g
ip access extended TEST
permit icmp any any
permit udp any eq 53 any
permit tcp any any established
permit tcp any host 2.2.2.2 eq 80
permit tcp host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
deny tcp any host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
permit ip host 3.3.3.3 4.4.4.0 0.0.0.255
deny ip any 4.4.4.0 0.0.0.255
permit ip any any
In case I need to add/remove/edit a working ACL I always use the line numbers
If you do "show ip access-list TEST" for instance you'll get this output:
Extended IP access list TEST
10 permit icmp any any
20 permit udp any eq domain any
30 permit tcp any any established
40 permit tcp any host 2.2.2.2 eq www
50 permit tcp host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
60 deny tcp any host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
70 permit ip host 3.3.3.3 4.4.4.0 0.0.0.255
80 deny ip any 4.4.4.0 0.0.0.255
90 permit ip any any
This allows you to remove a line by doing
conf t
ip access-list extended TEST
no 60
!
Or add a line in between
55 permit tcp host 5.5.5.5 host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
Which will change your ACL to:
Extended IP access list TEST
10 permit icmp any any
20 permit udp any eq domain any
30 permit tcp any any established
40 permit tcp any host 2.2.2.2 eq www
50 permit tcp host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
55 permit tcp host 5.5.5.5 host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
60 deny tcp any host 2.2.2.2 eq 3339
70 permit ip host 3.3.3.3 4.4.4.0 0.0.0.255
80 deny ip any 4.4.4.0 0.0.0.255
90 permit ip any any
Anyway, I wouldn't suggest using any kind of automatic stuff, you'll have to
actually go line by line, as tedious as it may sound, to determine what exactly
you need or not, or just opt to create them from scratch setting only the stuff
you're sure you need and save the old ones for reference or future review.
Hope this helps,
Ziv
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Scott Granados
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2009 9:28 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [c-nsp] ACL creation and editing tool suggestions?
I'm working in an environment with several large (north of 300 lines) ACLs that
need managing. Several different people have had their hands in editing before
I arrived and the lists have grown in to large jumbled messes and as such are
introducing a lot of error because of their complexity. I'm wondering how
people manage large ACLs effectively. Are there any tools that help in the
automation of ACL creation or any good methods, if even by hand, that folks
could recommend to help ease the clean up and maintenance process. Something
that could optimize the ACL in automated fashion?
Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
************************************************************************************
This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by
PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer
viruses.
************************************************************************************
************************************************************************************
This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by
PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer
viruses.
************************************************************************************
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/