On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Phil Mayers wrote:

 So, it seems to be some kind of analogous feature to TCP SYN protect or
 such like, to protect a client flooding a server.

All,

Cisco have identified this as a bug, fixed in 1.5 - CSCsw52831 / CSCsu42225 "udp packets are dropped by ace". It's a timing-related issue in session setup.

Many thanks to the guys at TAC, who were extremely quick and effective on this, and thanks to all who gave suggestions on the list.

Kudos to Phil for excellent work together! It was a very good bug hunt. Luckily it was even already fixed, and was not something burnt in hardware.

As I've blatantly self-appointed myself to track the ipv6-related matters in TAC as much as I can, if anyone on the list has something on the topic, feel free to drop an email to me with the case#, I'll ensure I keep an eye on it. (disclaimer for the archives: this statement may no longer be applicable in 2020 :)

looking a bit further -  to all:

1) If the A/AAAA bang-bang lookup over a single 4-tuple is an issue for anyone with other our other devices, I'd like to know ASAP.

2) what if the endboxes were doing the A and AAAA from two separate ports ? I see two clear disadvantages - doubling the state on the "dumber NAPT" boxes, and "more work for glibc folks" - assuming the biggest problem is the first, how big is it for real-life deployments ?

thanks,
andrew