At 02:41 PM 7/6/2009, Julio Arruda noted:

Justin Krejci wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> ip flow ingress is already defined on my setup
>
> We are trying to avoid sampling (currently we're not seeing any contention
> or other load issues)

As I understand, netflow sampling in the current 7600/6500 based gear,
would not help with Netflow TCAM contention...

Is more on the lines of "after-the-fact", it will do some kind of
sampling of the already collected information..

Correct, it is a sampling of the flows that made it into the hw. It does not appear from the outputs that any significant contention is happening.

EARL8, like in the Nexus 7K, is supposed to do packet-sampling 'as other
  boxes do', before creating the netflow entry.

That it does, we do both full & sampled NF. Eg, with 1 in 1000 sampling, 1 packet out of 1000 passing the interface in the specified direction (7k supports both ingress & egress NF) is sampled, and that packet creates/updates a flow entry in the hw table.

Once in the hw, the flow entry is treated as any other, ie, updated, aged, exported.

HTH,
Tim

> Apparently when putting in "ip route-cache flow" it changes the syntax to
> "ip flow ingress"
>
> conf t
> int g5/1
> no ip flow ingress
> no ip route-cache flow
> ip route-cache flow
> end
> show run | section interface GigabitEthernet5/1
>
> yields:
> ip flow ingress

Tim Stevenson, tstev...@cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759