On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 23:38 +0200, Nicolas Rolans wrote: > This supportwiki article [snip] could be what you're looking for. I > confirm the 1800 instances/slot limit.
... but it doesn't say anything about the number of STP instances. I tested it on a Sup720 SXI1 and could create more than 1800 STP instances with the VLANs split among two modules: r2(config)#do sh vlan vir Slot 4 ------- Total slot virtual ports 1799 Slot 5 ------- Total slot virtual ports 1799 Total chassis virtual ports 3598 r2(config)#do sh spann summ tot Switch is in rapid-pvst mode Root bridge for: VLAN0100-VLAN0110, VLAN0115-VLAN0118, VLAN0120-VLAN0131 VLAN0133-VLAN0297, VLAN0500-VLAN0999, VLAN1021-VLAN2281, VLAN2300-VLAN2337 VLAN2400-VLAN4000 EtherChannel misconfig guard is enabled Extended system ID is enabled Portfast Default is disabled Portfast Edge BPDU Guard Default is disabled Portfast Edge BPDU Filter Default is disabled Loopguard Default is enabled PVST Simulation Default is enabled but inactive in rapid-pvst mode Bridge Assurance is enabled UplinkFast is disabled BackboneFast is disabled Pathcost method used is long Name Blocking Listening Learning Forwarding STP Active ---------------------- -------- --------- -------- ---------- ---------- 3598 vlans 0 0 0 3598 3598 r2(config)# I got this message during the configuration: %SW_VLAN-SP-4-VTP_SEM_BUSY: VTP semaphore is unavailable for function sw_vlansp_get_4k_vlan_info. Semaphore locked by download info After deleting the VLANs and trying the same again the message did not appear, so I guess it's nothing really bad. It seems that more then 1800 instances are possible. I didn't have more than a two module (Sup720-10G + 6724-SFP) configuration to test this on at hand. My bold guess would be that the system limit for number of STP instances is 10000/13000 total virtual ports (RPVST/PVST). Whether having 1800+ STP instances on the same switch is a good idea i something completely different. :-) Regards, Peter _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
