On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Steven Pfister<spfis...@dps.k12.oh.us> wrote:
> Yes, tcp/1720 seems to be going to the correct address. The thing I'm
> wondering now is this... I did the capture on the PIX itself on the outside
> interface. I've found at least one spot where the internal address for the
> unit on our side appears.

If the rfc1918 address is seen on the outside (presumably in one of
the openLogicalChannel/openLogicalChannelAck exchanges?) - then it
would be a very good reason for the media streams to not reach you
from the remote end.

>I would have thought the NAT transversal setting on the unit itself would have
>taken care of this before hitting the PIX. And the capture being on the
>outside interface... would it be showing the packets before or after inspect
>has gotten to them.

capture is in the packet path shortly before putting the packet onto
the low-level driver for transmission. So, it's after all the inspect
work is already don (if we're talking of the inside->outside). For the
outside->inside, it's indeed the opposite - very early in the packet
processing, so before the inspect.

>We've got one unit in the same building  as the firewall... hopefully I can
>>duplicated the problem on that.

ok. this indeed could be useful too.

> When I first started getting involved with the video conferencing units here,
> we >weren't able to dial out until I turned the NAT transversal setting on.
> Then I

hmm I thought it was indeed the outbound calls that had difficulties
now ? Or those are two different failures of a different degree ?

Anyway, normally inspect should take care of the translating the
embedded addresses.

>found out about inspect/fixup and never understood why that setting on the
>unit >would be needed if those commands were on the firewall config. Maybe we
>>should try it without the inspect? No other h.323 traffic normally goes in or
>out >of our network.

Yes - it's either/or, so if you don't have any other H.323 traffic,
then indeed give nat traversal a shot without the h323 inspects
enabled on the PIX.

cheers,
andrew