On 26/08/2009, at 11:58 PM, Gert Doering wrote:

Which is why we are VERY happy with "every customer has a different L3
subnet" - and yes, this is wasting a few IPv4 addresses, but since our
customers usually have more than one machine, it's not "75%". Even so,
the time of IPv4 is past, and we should stop worrying about it.

I'm with Gert on this. Our hosting networks are all configured this way. And, regarding the OP's comment about VPS, why view a virtual server any differently? Each customer with either physical or virtual servers gets a vlan and IP allocation for those servers. The virtuals quite happily vmotion around the network to their hearts content. Each ESX cluster node gets to see the vlans for all the VM's on that cluster. No big deal - it's just a dot1q trunk after all.

David