Nick Hilliard wrote:

Cisco is a very large company and it appears to have a lot of empires. Multiple empires beget balkanisation and lead to the sort of software train splits that we see. I can imagine that it must be very difficult to keep any sort of control on source code, when you have all sorts of groups with all sorts of different product lines, different requirements and different time-scales.

Nick

Just to add another layer of IOS entropy..

I forget where I heard it but supposedly the same source code compiled by different people results in a different binary because people at Cisco maintain their own separate Makefiles with their own set of compiler flags. The "Compiled by.." line is more useful than you might think.

-ML