On 05/10/2009 22:41, Mark Tinka wrote:
That said, it's also clear the 6500 isn't done yet, and it's
still got a number of tricks up its sleeve. The question is,
"Will you wait?".

The c6500 is just a chassis. So, if you're referring to the trick of upgrading both the line cards and the supervisor engine to something better, then yes, it's got more tricks up its sleeve.

As a side issue, there are electrical limitations imposed by the physical cross-bar unit inside the actual chassis, but I don't know how much of a problem these limitations are in practice. Perhaps the problem of getting reliable 20G+ parallel data transfers across the backplane is greater than dealing with the bandwidth limitations imposed by the electrical characteristics of the physical crossbar. Being hardware-related, this sort of stuff is well beyond my sphere of knowledge, and for all I know, c65k's operate using hoards of maxwell's daemons being slave-driven by microscopic evil pixies.

Nick