Eric Cables wrote:

The current solution deployed is a single server with a single modem
physically attached, using a shared minicom dialing directory as the
dialer.  Obviously another system at another geographic location is
preferred, but that leads to the next hurdle -- virtualization.  Not only
are systems quickly being virtualized, but once virtualized VMotion and the
lack of physical serial/USB ports makes physically connecting modems to a
single host server a non-option.

Have you looked at OpenGear? Pop a modem or two on the 8-port version, script something to dial a site, and ta-da. They also support RFC2217, although I've never used it.

Alternatively, and I've used this before - a modem on the AUX port of a Cisco router, and reverse telnet to access it.

Peter