On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, mohieddeen yousef wrote:

Any had used the cotext frewall on the FWSM?

Yes, I have several FWSMs in multi-context mode in production. The nice thing is that you can have up to 8 bridge groups per context, compared to an ASA, which only allows one bridge per context in transparent mode.

I had some Java issues with Cisco's ASDM, but newer versions of the ASDM seem to be more stable.

Is there any drawbackes of using it?

That depends on your needs, but there are the following caveats:

1. Forget about IPv6 support - the hardware is optimized for v4 forwarding, and forwarding v6 ends up having to be done software, so the performance hit is substantial 2. If you use the web-based ASDM, MacOSX/Safari is not 'officially' supported 3. Data collection, if you're concerned about, via SNMP is kind of clunky in multi-context mode. Things like connections and CPU utilization have to be polled per context and combined if you want to get reasonably accurate data across the entire FWSM. 4. The rated max throughput is 5.5 Gb/s. In practice I've been able to get 3+ Gb/s through them without problems. 5. The writing is on the wall that Cisco is planning to stop new development on the FWSM in the near future. I've heard unconfirmed rumors of a newer, faster flade-based firewall, but nothing definite at this point.

jms
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to