On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Tim wrote:

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 04:47:38PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
 - the GSRs do IPv6 in software on some of the older line cards, and in
   hardware on the more recent line cards (I have no GSRs, so I can't say
   for sure which ones are which, but E0 is certainly "software" and E3/E4
   should be "hardware")

I've heart from a SE, that only Engine 5 linecards do IPv6 in hardware.

Engine 3 as well.

As we have some GSRs in our network (12410/12416) and linecards from
Engine 0 to Engine 5, does somebody has experiences with GSR & IPv6 and
can say which linecards do IPv6 in hardware?

E3 and E5 does it in both directions. As E2 and E4 does only ingress routing, any packet egressing an E2 or E4 linecard will be limited by the ingress card capabilties. E2 and E4 will ingress route IPv6 in software (cpu). When we did tests with E4 I believe we got them up to approx 400 megabit/s ingress IPv6 and wirespeed egress (was with packets ingressing E5 linecard).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se