Hi, thanks for your response.

>2) If the router has multiple paths to the destination does specifying
the source-address mean that 100% of the time it will use the Interface
that the indicated source address is assigned to?

No .. should be load-balanced.
------------------------------
If that is the case and the whole purpose is to determine whether or not the
individual interfaces are passing traffic then couldn't using this method
present false positives about which Interface is actually having a problem? I
am currently using the 'connected (/30)' IP address as the destination.

My question about 'reachability vs state' tracking was basically just me being
confused at how the state could be 'OK' if there was no reachability or how the
reachability could fine if the state was not OK. is there a better choice to
pick in my specific example?

thanks,
-Drew