Nick:

> The patch cable length really doesn't matter.  What matters is the
> attenuation and ensuring that your received light level at each end is within
> the threshold of what's acceptable to the transceiver receiver port.

So, where does that leave the OP's LR links?  Does it boil down to "get a
meter"?

Suddenly I'm really interested - I'm about to turn up a bunch of closet
switches in an all-singlemode building.  All links use LR optics, but some
links (to wiring closets immediately above and below) are quite short.

This stuff all ran in staging with 2m patch cords with no apparent problem.

Where attenuators are required, does it make any difference where along the
fiber run it's installed (near the sender or near the receiver)?

Thanks!