A company I occasionally do some work for (Company A) wants to build a site-to-site VPN to another company's (Company B) network. By itself, that's not too big of a deal, however, the Company B is requiring that the host(s) from Company A that are tunneled through the VPN have globally routable IP addresses, or at least NAT to globally routable addresses.

The way the Company A's network is designed today, the only globally routable addresses that are in use today are for NAT, and the outside addresses on their firewalls. The firewall in question is an ASA 5510 running just an inside and outside interface - no DMZ.

The only options I can think of without having to re-design a chunk of Company A's network would be: 1. Use the tunnel endpoint address on Company A's firewall as the address that gets tunneled. While I haven't gotten a definitive answer from Cisco, my gut tells me that would not work. 2. Create a static NAT to an unused address on their outside network and use that as the tunneled host. I have reason to believe that won't work either. 3. Land this VPN on Company A's external router (a Cisco 2801), rather than the ASA. That should allow them to use the NAT'd outside interface on the firewall as a tunneled address without problems. The router might need a code/license upgrade to handle the IPSEC, but the more I think about it, the more this seems like the least kludgey solution.

I'm open to ideas though...

jms