John, I'm no multicast expert having had no operational experience with it.
Have you looking into MVPN Extranets? See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sb/feature/guide/extvpnsb.html I think this is what you are trying to do by having one VRF contain your multicast sources (the extranet VRF) and the other VRFs be receivers. Wish I could lab it up but time doesn't permit. The provider network depicted in the link above is collapsed onto your single ASR so it should probably still work as I don't think it matters that you only have a single P/PE router. > -----Original Message----- > From: [email protected] [mailto:cisco-nsp- > [email protected]] On Behalf Of John Neiberger > Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:01 PM > To: [email protected] > Subject: [c-nsp] Multicast between VRFs within a single router, probably an > ASR9K > > I have a lab situation where we would really benefit from being able > to get multicast receivers in one VRF to join multicast sources in a > different VRF, all on the same router, probably an ASR9K. We've > thought of a couple ways to do this. One is to offload the source VRF > to another box and then use subinterfaces on the trunk links with each > subinterface in a different VRF. That would work just fine, but it > would mean that each new receiver VRF would increase the bandwidth > usage on the trunk. We'd end up with the same multicast streams being > duplicated several times over on those links. > > Another method would be to just run cables between the VRFs. That > would work well, but it would eat up ports quickly, especially since > we'll probably need a few gig per VRF. > > I'd really like to find a way to do this within the box. I've already > gotten unicast to work by using BGP to redistribute between the VRFs > in a sort of VRF Lite configuration. However, I can't get multicast to > work across the VRF boundaries. MDT doesn't seem like an option > because I'm not doing mpls and this is all happening within one box, > not from PE to PE or anything like that, and we're trying to go from > one VRF to another, which I don't think MDT would allow us to do. > > It sure seems like there should be a way to make this work, but I'm > not that familiar with VRFs, and I'm definitely not that familiar with > trying to do multicast across VRFs. In the end, we don't even need > unicast redistribution at all. We want to have separate VRFs for each > virtual lab, and those VRFs just need to be able to pull multicast > sources from the source VRF. There will be no unicast traffic at all. > > This is purely for a lab environment at work for testing various video > encoding/compression systems. We wouldn't be thinking of attempting > this in a production environment, but it sure would solve some > problems for us if we could pull it off in the lab area. > > Any thoughts? > > Thanks! > John > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
