On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Martin T wrote:

1) as I understand, frames larger than MTU are automatically
fragmented by switch.

No, generally this is only done by routers, not on L2-switches.
Usually the packet is dropped.

2) when we talk about MTU(standard Ethernet v2 frame 1500B, jumbo frames 1500B - 9000B etc), then we don't count in L2 header? So for example 802.1qinq frame including multiple VLAN tags, srcMAC, dstMAC, EtherType and CRC with payload less 1500B is still counted as regular Ethernet v2 MTU?

It depends on platform and OS.

3) on the image, all the switches have "system mtu 1552". Am I correct, that "system mtu" setting only affects 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX ports? And this 1552B does not include the L2 header, right?

This affects all ports and for IOS, doesn't include L2 header.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se