On 09.06.2011 10:33, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Mack McBride wrote:

Our experience was that XR on the PRP-2 was less than stellar other
users may have a different experience.

Generally Cisco devices (apart from some of the very latest platforms)
have reeeeaaaaallllyyyy slow flashdrive IO. Since XR accesses the flash
drive all the time (and has a lot of data), this makes it slow as well.

I've been told the upcoming replacement RP for CRS-1 has SATA SSD and is
a magnitude (or more) faster than the old RP when it comes to
installation and booting due to more CPU and especially a more sound IO
hardware subsystem.

Even a Cisco 1841 loads IOS many times faster from a USB stick compared
to the built in CF, and a 7200 boots faster over ftp than from the built
in flash cards.

It seems Cisco has finally realised the problems with their IO subsystem
so I hope newer devices will work a lot better.

I think only explanation here is Cisco had large stock of quite old CF-readers/hardware which is slow as hell(because of age) and thus still installing them. Because I can't remember any recent and even 2-3 years old CF cards or CF-ATA adapters that slow.

Or IOS implementation of IO is just plain suck, whatever this is low-level access or VFAT implementation problems. It can be fixed via software update.