Dear all,

My organisation has two (old) Cisco 2600 series routers deployed in two remote sites, one 2620 and one 2621. So far these routers have been performing very well, however we are now looking at substantially increasing the bandwidth of the WAN links that connect these two remote sites to the central office. At present these remote sites connect to the central office via 4Mbps ADSL lines and we will be upgrading these to 100Mbps (full-duplex) optical fibre links. We are essentially trying to determine whether these old routers will still be able to handle the increased traffic load or whether we need to upgrade the routers as well. The information we have managed to find so far suggests that these routers would be able to cope if all packet switching is done in CEF. The set-up in these remote sites is quite simple and we only use extended IP access lists in order to control access to certain VLANs. Does anybody know whether these ACLs would cause the traffic to be punted from CEF to process switching?

Many thanks

Terence