Actually it could also be the telnet prompt timeout settings.  The
command interpreter gets done long before you see all the output
(buffered on the devices end) and therefore you get timed out and
disconnected long before the buffer actually drains.  Try
setting/increasing the idle timeouts.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Roy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 12/26/2011 2:23 PM, Randy wrote:
>>
>> --- On Mon, 12/26/11, Roy<[email protected]>  wrote:
>>
>>> From: Roy<[email protected]>
>>> Subject: [c-nsp] Telnet session dropped
>>> To: "[email protected]"<[email protected]>
>>> Date: Monday, December 26, 2011, 1:08 PM
>>> I use RANCID ton a number of
>>> routers.  About five days ago, it started failing on
>>> three routers.  If I manually connect to these routers,
>>> it seems to work for a minute or so and then the telnet
>>> session gets disconnected.  The disconnect only occurs
>>> during a data transfer such as "show conf"
>>>
>>> I tested it from several places so the telnet client
>>> doesn't seem to be a factor.  The routers are all on
>>> different ISPs and in different cities.  The only
>>> common denominator between the failing routers is they are
>>> all set to use a port other than 23.  This is done by
>>> natting the external port to port 23 on a null interface.
>>>
>>> Rebooting the routers didn't help
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>>
>> I wonder if your isps have decided to blackhole tcp traffic on port that
>> you redirect to 23. A quick test to confirm would be to try without port
>> redirection(terribly insecure) or use ssh. I have been bitten by XO..
>> ./Randy
>>
>
> If they were blackholing traffic then I would think I couldn't even get
> connected in the first place
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/



-- 

"Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors
into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to