On 09/01/12 17:02, Nick Hilliard wrote:
On 09/01/2012 16:40, Phil Mayers wrote:
Many forwarding engines e.g. 6500 PFC3 cannot support this. Those platforms
require linecards with "extended" forwarding engines.

it's not the forwarding engines that have the problem here - it's the line
cards.  A PFC3B or later will support VPLS on SIP / ES/ES+ / OSM cards
without any problems.  Or e-FlexWAN, if you are so inclined.

Sorry, I don't understand the distinction you're making. Perhaps we are using terminology differently?

As I understand it, a packet received on a LAN linecard will be forwarded by the local DFC or central PFC to the egress linecard, and the DFC3/PFC3 cannot simultaneously perform MAC lookup and label imposition. Hence, the limitation is the forwarding engine, no?

If the egress linecard is a WAN linecard, the WAN forwarding hardware will perform the MAC->egress LSP lookup. But it's not the PFC or DFC "supporting" it; it's the extra hardware on the WAN card.