Does anyone have this working?

I am testing an N7k with dual SUP, and when I perform a failover, BGP graceful restart is not working as expected. I have a TAC case open, but was wondering if anyone else had run into it.

The symptoms are:

1. The initial BGP session has the "graceful restart" capability negotiated, and the expected AFI/SAFI marked for GR.

2. When I perform "system switchover", the box continues to forward traffic, and the neighbour continues to send it traffic.

3. Once the 2nd SUP becomes active, it establishes a new BGP peering. In the OPEN message, the "flags" of the GR capability has the R-bit set (indicating restart has occurred) but the F-bit for each AFI/SAFI is set to 0 - the neighbour thus assumes forwarding was not preserved, and discards the stale routes.

So, I have the odd situation that, after a switchover, forwarding works for about 20 seconds, then stops as the SUP effectively commits "BGP suicide" by telling the peer that forwarding didn't work!

This is on M-series linecards, in an MPLS/L3VPN config if that matters - though I am fairly sure it's a problem at the BGP level, since packet forwarding did continue, stopping immediately upon the new BGP session startup i.e. step #3 above.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to