We've recently purchased 3 ME3800s to use as core/aggregation switches and I'm in the process of labbing up and starting to apply configuration, in what at the moment is an isolated environment.

One of the features we need to use for a small number of customers in order to do some basic URL filtering, is Policy Based Routing. We only need to policy route port 80 traffic from a select number and range of IP addresses.

This feature is new in 15.2(4)S on this platform. We've got the MetroAggrServices license on all three units - the license that in theory has "the works".

Reading the release notes, I'm struggling to find out definitely how this feature works on the ME3600/ME3800. Not so much the actual policy routing itself, but more so the licensing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15.2_4_S/configuration/guide/swpbr.html

Firstly, this feature apparently requires simply an SDM change on the ME3600. That's easy enough to do. However the documentation states that on the ME3800 we need to purchase a SCALED license. For those who haven't looked this up, it isn't a cheap line item, it's something like AUD$14,000 RRP on top of existing licenses, per unit (less a reseller discount). Ouch.

Secondly, despite not having a SCALED license and with the default SDM template, the ME3800 actually allows me to configure PBR. Is this intentional or is it going to collapse in a smouldering heap of process switched goup when I start pushing larger amounts of data through it?

The default SDM looks like this:

----

sw1#show sdm prefer current
The current License is MetroAggrServices
The current template is "default" template.

Template values:
      number of mac table entries                        =  128000
      number of ipv4 routes                              =  24000
      number of ipv6 routes                              =  12000
      number of routing groups                           =  2000
      number of multicast groups                         =  2000
      number of bridge domains                           =  4096
      number of acl entries                              =  4000
      number of MDT mroutes                              =  1000
      number of ipv6 acl entries                         =  1000
      number of ipv4 pbr entries                         =  2000

-----------

[Note the 2000 PBR entries, which suggests that hw resources are allocated, so it looks like it could work?!?!]

Thirdly, if I enable the evaluation of the SCALED license and reload, a new default SDM template is applied automatically, which removes all of my PBR TCAM:

sw2#show sdm prefer current
The current License is ScaledMetroAggrServices
The current template is "default" template.

Template values:
      number of mac table entries                        =  256000
      number of ipv4 routes                              =  32000
      number of ipv6 routes                              =  16000
      number of routing groups                           =  4000
      number of multicast groups                         =  4000
      number of bridge domains                           =  8192
      number of acl entries                              =  16000
      number of MDT mroutes                              =  1000
      number of ipv6 acl entries                         =  1000
      number of ipv4 pbr entries                         =  0

Then I have to set one of the VPNv4-only OR VPNv4-v6 SDMs to get any PBR space allocated again. So it looks to me like enabling the SCALED license actually removes PBR capability from the default SDM, not adds them.

Fourthly, is the PBR VRF-aware?  It looks like not, but....

And lastly, are the restrictions in regards to PBR (the lack of route-map deny and by the looks of it, the lack of deny support in ACEs relating to PBR) likely to be removed in the future? Compared to the 7609-S we're moving away from, this is a step backwards.

I'm confused, and the questions have been raised internally as to why we seem to need to spend yet more money on top of the existing hardware and licenses, just in order to enable PBR. We don't otherwise need the SCALED license on this platform and we had figured previously that the most advanced license covered every -feature- we'd need.

To add insult to injury, it's actually going to work out very significantly cheaper to purchase a 3560-X floor switch or even another ME3600X just to do PBR. But to do that just seems really silly. I'd really like a bit more clarity on how this works on the ME3800 so we don't need to go down that path...

Reuben