At 06:05 AM 11/7/2012, Pete Templin mused:
On 11/7/12 6:02 AM, Alexander Lim wrote:

Do you know what caused the 3 secs blip? How can Cisco claims that it is non-disruptive then?
Thanks for sharing.

From what I've learned from others, the 'install all' unpacks the new files which run the processes, and then the processes are stopped/started. The blip aligns with the card that's actively being upgraded, as shown by the 'install all' or 'show install all status' if run on another login session/console.

There are no software processes that affect hardware/data plane forwarding, any process can be statefully restarted without impacting data flow (in theory, ignoring bugs). We do claim it is non-disruptive and we can easily demonstrate that and have many times.

It is unexpected and not per design to lose data traffic during an ISSU, provided you are ISSU'ing to/from supported releases (as per the ISSU matrix in the user documentation), all your data traffic is being hardware switched, and assuming no software defects (such as the specific one cited earlier in the thread).

2 cents,
Tim

pt

Tim Stevenson, tstev...@cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Distinguished Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759