> > Using Cisco 7301s with 15.2(4)S2, features I need are the usual unicast
> > MPLS L3VPN stuff with an IS-IS core and BGP, L2TP LAC, some BFD would be
> > nice, and IRB to bridge a single VLAN (long story of legacy
> infrastructure
> > and 6500 limitations). The 7301s run 1 GB RAM. I'm expecting up to 600
> > subs and 200 Mbps of PPPoE coming into each box.
> >
> 
> Never mind - just found out that MPLS not compatible with IRB on these
> boxen


Well list, for anybody who may search this in the future, I found a way around 
using IRB (I totally forgot I had a pile of PA-2FE-TX in the back... cool!) and 
I've tested this.

For a 7301 as an L2TP LAC, a single user running ~50Mbps speed tests through 
our Ericsson SE-600 to the Ookla widget put the CPU to about 15-17%. I have not 
observed a difference in system performance between a traditional design with 
IP routing and a bunch of VLANs everywhere and running everything into MPLS. 
What I have noticed is that a 7301 upstream unsurprisingly has lower CPU load 
when it functions as an LSR. 5-7% observed with full IP routing, 3-5% under 
MPLS. The legacy VLAN I'm transporting is just used for management so I am not 
concerned about the performance impact the EoMPLS VC may have on the L2TP side 
of things.

All of my other features function as expected. Base load includes ~70 ISIS 
routes, ~4400 BGP VPNv4 prefixes, and a handful of sub-second BFD and HSRP 
sessions.

Field testing will show how reliable and scalable it is. It certainly appears 
that the duo of them should handle 500 Mbps without hassle.

Thanks to the few who replied off-list earlier.

Cheers
Ross

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to