On 12/12/13 09:08, Gert Doering wrote:

My imagination sees "outage in the VM management infrastructure which leads
to all RRs being down at the same time, and no network left to bring them
back"... *shiver*

Agreed - anyone using the "helpful" automagic stuff like vCentre for something like an RR is crazy. We've had issues with it exploding and the VMs being unmanageable.

OTOH a standalone hypervisor with no external dependencies can be pretty much bulletproof; our DNS and DHCP servers run on KVM boxes, and they're rock solid.

One advantage is reboot times - modern servers take an age to POST, but a KVM guest can reboot in under 30 seconds.