> On 22-Feb-15, at 08:47 , Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> wrote:
>

> He should be looking for redundant active/active, instead.  DNS, not an IP
> address, should be used to reach each active instance of the service in
> question.

i think true active/active becomes a nirvana that we all would like to achieve
from a technical perspective — however there are strong business implications
that prevent achievement of said state.
the discussion that should be happening is around the business continuity
requirements of each of the services/applications in question.  when the cost
of an outage far exceeds even the fewest of moments of downtime, active/active
should be the goal.  however — through a detailed discussion from all of the
different business units — it may be determined that active/active may be
overkill for the service/application provided.  things like “warm standby” or
“cold standby” may be more tolerable from a capex standpoint — let alone the
operational challenges in ensuring that all operations teams are ready to
support a truly “active/active” design.

while the ability to implement “things” provided by mpls technologies for
transparent layer-2 connections (or through the use of $vendor technology) —
coupled with storage federation and inbound routing correction through dns gslb
or lisp is definitely doable — it may be determined that the cost is too great
for everything — thus creating a tiering of redundancy services based on
criticality to the business.  otherwise — we’re all just being asked “how long
is a piece of string?”

q.