On 9/27/23 13:23, Nathan Ward wrote:

In JunOS you can’t use regexes or wildcards for “target:” communities. You can use wildcards in IOS-XR RT sets - so if your RPL has something like the following, without defining the RTs you care about in the VRF, you’ll generate a bunch of rtfilter[1] routes. Perhaps it could optimise and generate rtfilter routes using prefix lengths other than 0 and 96 - though I’ve never actually tested that before, so I’d be wary of how well it is implemented… :-)

route-policy make-lots-of-rtfilter-routes
  if extcommunity rt matches-any (64496:*) then
    pass
  else
    drop
  endif
end-policy

IOS-XR has a more complex language than JunOS for policy, too. Without the above being an issue, it feels like jumping through parameterised RPL could make it pretty difficult to figure out all the possible RTs you might want to accept. Noting that communities can be built up from parameters.
Impossible? No. More difficult? Yeah.

If sticking all the possible RTs in a VRF definition is the cost of getting RPL, I think that’s a fair trade.

I recall IOS and IOS XE also had a number of options with which you could create RT permutations.

As with IOS XR, a lot of them seem nice-to-have, for us anyway, in the context of where the Internet is today.

I’m a Juniper guy mostly, but, RPL is pretty good I’ve got to admit.

I think it's a bit over-the-top, but that's just me :-).

--
Nathan Ward

[1] I have forgotten what Cisco calls constrained route distribution. rtfilter is a JunOS term and is what I call it. From memory vendors all call it different things.

RTC (Route Target Constraint), as defined in RFC 4684.

I looked into implementing it back in 2008, but decided it wasn't worth the effort for the network I was engineering at the time.

Mark.