Lelio,

Jabber has been using something call CPVE for a while; Cisco Precision
Video Engine. CPVE comes from the Tandberg acquisition and was mainly
used in Tandberg Movi (later Jabber Video). CPVE indeed starts at a low
quality bitrate and then assesses the network using RTCP and other
technologies to up-scale and down-scale as needed.

You stated your requirement in your initial email - "i'd like to make
sure we have the best video quality while on-campus". While it's fine to
assume that over 3G/4G video may be disabled or perhaps a low bandwidth,
what about MRA clients using home or cafe WiFi? If said WiFi has a fast
bandwidth e.g. 50 Mbps and your Jabber MRA device calls an on-prem video
device, you have no control over the bandwidth.

The idea behind Device Mobility is quite simple, for your case you could
do it like this;

- Create a Device Pool named Internet_DP
- Create Internet_RG region and assign Internet_RG to Internet_DP
(Internet_RG has region relationships to your on-campus regions limiting
the bandwidth e.g. 512 Kbps max video)
- Create a Physical Location Internet_PL and Device Mobility Group
Internet_DMG and assign both to Internet_DP
- Create a Device Mobility Info (basically a subnet) called Internet_DMI
and give it the IP of your Expressway-C with subnet mask of 32 e.g.
10.10.10.100/32
- Associate Internet_DP with the Internet_DMI
- Enable Device Mobility from CallManager Service Parameters (enabled
Device Mobility for all phones) or enable on a per-phone basis via BAT
or individually

What happens now is that anytime a BOT/TCT/TAB/CSF/78XX/88XX phone
registers via Expressway, it's registration IP will always be the IP of
Expressway-C. CUCM realizes this and essentially changes the DP to
Internet_DP where you have defined your lower bandwidth region
relationships. Once that device comes back to the corporate network it
will no longer have a registration IP of the Expressway-C, rather a
normal DHCP IP and will of course use the normal Device Pool which you
configured which may have a maximum BW of 10 Mbps.

Hope this helps!

On 2016-04-07 00:05, Lelio Fulgenzi wrote:

> I honestly don't know.
>
> I'm new to the whole Jabber world, as well as to video codecs and bit rates.
>
> I could be worrying about something that I don't need to be, i.e. a 10 minute
> Jabber video call will never use more than X megabytes of data.
>
> Then again, it's only a matter of time until clients will want to use the
> quality that comes with a mobile phone front facing camera to have a HD video
> call from anywhere.
>
> ---
> Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
> Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
> Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
> University of Guelph
>
> 519‐824‐4120 Ext 56354
> le...@uoguelph.ca
> www.uoguelph.ca/ccs
> Room 037, Animal Science and Nutrition Building
> Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1
>
> -------------------------
>
> FROM: "Dennis Heim" <dennis.h...@wwt.com>
> TO: "Lelio Fulgenzi" <le...@uoguelph.ca>, cisco-voip@puck.nether.net
> SENT: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:00:11 AM
> SUBJECT: RE: [cisco-voip] bandwidth restrictions for MRA clients - necessary
> or        not?
>
> Can many mobile jabber devices with cellular connectivity do more than 360p?
>
> FROM: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-boun...@puck.nether.net] ON BEHALF OF
> Lelio Fulgenzi
> SENT: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 9:53 AM
> TO: cisco-voip@puck.nether.net
> SUBJECT: Re: [cisco-voip] bandwidth restrictions for MRA clients - necessary
> or not?
>
> Thanks Eric.
>
> I had a similar discussion with a Cisco engineer. Basically, let Jabber
> figure things out. Which is all fine and dandy, until you read that Canada
> pays some of the highest fees for mobile data in the world. lol.
>
> There are not many unlimited data plans available, and a simple 10 minute
> video call at 10mbps (using 5mbps for calc) could probably use up 3gb of data
> traffic.
>
> But then, I don't want to impact quality for Jabber clients on wifi
> connections.
>
> I'm guessing that I might go with leaving device mobility out of the picture
> for now and ensuring video calling is disabled while on mobile networks.
>
> -------------------------
>
> FROM: "Eric Pedersen" <peders...@bennettjones.com>
> TO: "Lelio Fulgenzi" <le...@uoguelph.ca>, cisco-voip@puck.nether.net
> SENT: Monday, April 4, 2016 11:00:36 AM
> SUBJECT: RE: [cisco-voip] bandwidth restrictions for MRA clients - necessary
> or        not?
>
> Jabber apparently monitors packet loss and sets the video rate accordingly,
> which is why the quality starts out really low and them improves with the
> call. I don't think any of the phones do that, but I believe the 8845 maximum
> bandwidth is 2mpbs.
>
> FROM: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-boun...@puck.nether.net] ON BEHALF OF
> Lelio Fulgenzi
> [...]

Links: