Hi Dennis/Brian,

Yes it’s possible to control an unregistered phone (i.e. in SRST mode), the
following article provides some details on how PhoneView works:

https://support.unifiedfx.com/hc/en-gb/articles/211136586-Help-Controlling-phones-in-SRST-mode

Fundamentally, as long as the phone is online, (i.e. the phone web server is
reachable) and the ‘Authentication URL’ is valid (typically the publisher) you
can control the device. Note: We generally recommend populating the ‘Secure
Authentication URL’ field with a non-secure value, i.e. HTTP on port 8080, as
this allows PhoneView to control an unregistered phone even if it has a bad ITL
file. We also have our own authentication service if you wish to bypass any
dependancy on CUCM too.

For PhoneView it uses the registration ‘Status’ obtained from CUCM (along with
the last phone IP Address) to decide to use CTI or HTTP when controlling the
phone automatically. So as long as you perform a ‘Group > Update > ClusterName’
to pull the latest status information PhoneView can automatically ‘fall-back’
form CTI to HTTP on a per-phone basis.

As much as PhoneView by design makes it really easy to work with large numbers
of devices, we also have a new product we are bringing to market soon for
simpler single phone control scenarios (perfect for ad-hoc and helpdesk
scenarios). We shall be previewing ‘PhoneFX’ next week at the Collaboration VT
in San Jose as well as Cisco Live Las Vegas. So if you get the chance pop round
to have a look and a chat about some other great product/features we have in
the pipeline ;)

Kind Regards

Stephen Welsh
CTO