This is more or less what I had been doing internally at a very primitive
level, and its been very valuable but quickly consuming of a ton of time to try
and account for the items and interactions between them.  I have to more or
less abandon Ruby at this point given that gems are not being updated and
things are starting to be a problem to maintain for me, oh well.

The Ruby gem I coked up abstracts a user object with details pulled from LDAP,
UCM, Unity Connection, and lets me interface with local resources or write
simple reports. It is what I used to write a basic CSV Jabber import (stripped
way down to just basically AXL) tool, though no one took me up on it for import
over BAT. I think they’re nuts to use that.

I am still unclear on what a service mesh is, but, my overall vision was to
have some sort of abstracted layer that monitors some level of object history,
but allowed me to tether business rules and systems to actions in the data
systems. It became pretty quickly obvious a job engine, call brokering and
buffering, intermediate database with reconciliation and clean up jobs, etc
would be needed on top of trying to define the way the objects actually
interact with each other. I don’t have the time.

I did not look into AutomationFX, and I’ll earn some ire for this, but, we have
used both PhoneView and MigrationFX. PhoneView I have largely gotten past
internally with my own tooling but it is great for the rest of the team looking
to do a quick data dump or get some data for reporting and with it’s built in
data cache it’s pretty good. MigrationFX seems to be built on top of
AutomatioFX, but, while better than going to each phone and configuring a new
one, has had a clunky interface that doesn’t appear to be possible to secure
when using older phones, at least per my coworkers, and I don’t want to invest
my efforts into that.

I’d love to see something like this, but I wonder how complicated it would have
to be to be ubiquitously useful.

Adam