Brian,

That's the way they made it. Accept it and be at peace.

The ABR will inject a default route X.X.X.X 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X into area for other
stub areas. This is so stub area routers know that for anything they don't know,
go here (second X.X.X.X).

All area routers' Link State Databases must match.
The Hello packet E-bit ('stub area' option bit) must be correct on all area
routers since entire Hello Packet must match for adjacencies to form.

Tom Trygar