At 5:52 PM +0200 5/11/2000, Dollard Morgan wrote:
>>right, i understand that just fine, and i know where ebgp >multihop is to
be
>>used. what i dont understand is WHY would u wa        nt to >cross over ur
isp,
>>plus whatever other transit as u'll have to go through to >hit another isp
>>do want to peer with, even though u might end up with an >ebgp multihop of
20
>>or 30.
>>explain that, since i dont see the point in it.
>>example. i connect to uunet, and i want to go peer with >another big isp
out
>>there, so ill cross all the way to the other network to hit >by bgp peer.
>>wheres the logic behind this kind of usage.

>I don't know of any usage where you would BGP peer, in >either sense
>of peering, with another AS to which you don't have a direct
>connection.  I'm lost.

So am I. The times I've seen/used multihop - at least so far - has been
setting up sessions with route servers, sharing load over multiple links,
multicast using MBGP, and such. I believe it's already been noted that,
ebgp-multihop's intended simply to permit peers to live on different
subnets.

>  Who wants to peer across multiple >AS?  Do
>they have any rationale for doing so?

Please, let me know.

mh