Actually, you can have more than just the 255 or 1 in a wildcard mask.

Try to remember that the wildcard mask bits are the exact opposite of the
subnet mask bits.

For example:  In order to block a particular subnet in an access list,
131.111.8.0/21  for instance, would require a wildcard mask of  0.0.7.255.
That would block out the subnet  131.111.8.0

Make sense?  Well, you can get the 7 in the wildcard mask 1 of 2 ways (that
I know of)

First, lets type out the subnet mask to make things a little easier.
255.255.248.0

The 3rd octect is only using 5 bits for the subnet mask (counting down from
128 i.e. 128+64+32+16+8=248).  That leaves 3 bits in the octect; now, count
3 from THE OPPOSITE END (i.e. 1+2+4=7) and you've got the appropriate
wildcard mask #.

Another, possibly easier way of doing this is to take 255-248(the subnet
mask's 3rd octect) and that will also =7.

I hope this helps!!!!

Scott
Verizon ENOC