Try this...You have a network that needs subnetting, like 172.18.0.0.
However, not all "areas" of this network need 8 bits of subnetting (254
hosts). Specifically, you have 4 WAN links (which are point-to-point). On a
point-to-point interface, you need a subnet with only 2 hosts. So...you
create a subnet with 30 masked bits (which allows only 2 hosts) on each of
those links. With VLSM, different portions of the network can have subnet
masks of different lengths. It's kind of a way to fine-tune the subnetting
on the network to limit the number of hosts available on each portion of the
network to what's needed and no more. The rest can be available to use
elsewhere (with good design).

That help?

Annlee