Just to provide my opinion on Zone Alarm:

I think Zone Alarm is a nice piece of software, it is by no means fool
proof, but its application specific settings make it a very nice solution.
With Zone Alarm it is very easy to allow one application access to the net
while denying another.  For example on my machine at work I can allow
Outlook to Access the intranet, but keep it from accessing the Internet.  I
can allow my browser to browse both the Internet and intranet.  And I can
make sure our lousy sysadmins cannot use SMS to spy on my work habbits by
denying SMS access to any network resources at all.  This can be both a boon
and burden so like any security solution its best to expect it to fail, at
least that way you are not suprised when it does :-)

-- Kevin