EC is the group's resident expert on hex to binary and back, but if I may..

Hex number may have values from 0-15, with the numbers ten and higher
represented by the letters a-f

Now, one might ask, doesn't that 0-15 ring a bell?

You can take any hex address, say e47c, and convert it directly to binary.

E=14=1110
4=04=0100
7=07=0111
c=12=1100
e47c=1110 0100 0111 1100

write your wildcard mask against this binary number and write that mask back
to hex. So if your mask was 1111.1111.0000.0000 the result would be FF00

not that I really want to be able to do this in my head, but one hex number
is equal to four binary bits. Once you break it down, you almost have enough
fingers to do most of the math. :->

HTH

Chuck

P.S. I believe Ipv6 is all in hex. :-0