From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent:   Friday, May 19, 2000 8:42 PM
To:     mikey; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Connection(less) services

>According to the OSI model, layer 3 is connectionless and layer 4 is
>connection oriented.  However, one must remember that the OSI model is
>theoretical.

And the OSI model has been extended by ISO, considerably beyond the
simple seven layers.  Unfortunately, the extensions, such as the
internal organization of the  network layer, the object-oriented
refinements of the application layer, management, etc., are rarely
presented.

>Specific protocol implementations do not necessarily adhere to
>the OSI model.

Actually, the main OSI Reference Model defined in ISO 7498 was
connection-oriented at all levels.  Connectionless operation was
described in one of the Annexes to 7498 -- can't tell you the
specific annex number from memory.

In the actual OSI protocol suite, CLNP was the connectionless network
layer protocol, and the connection-mode network protocol was a
particular X.25 subset.

>Example: TCP and UDP are both layer 4, one is connection oriented the other
>is connectionless.  Also, take a look at the IPX stack, it does not map
>nicely to the OSI model.

Quite correct.