From: Ole Drews Jensen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 10:42 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Cisco's Three Layer Model

(this e-mail is best viewed with a fixed font like Courier)

I can't seem to picture the theory behind Cisco's 'Three Layer Model' with
Core, Distribution and Access layers.

Below, I have designed a minor network where the headquarter's LAN is made
up of three switches (1,2 and 3) and they are connecting to four branch
offices via a WAN connection from router 1 and 2. Router 1 connects the
first three branch offices via Frame Relay, and Router 2 connects the last
office via DSL.

Can someone kindly match the right layers (core, dist. or access) with the
right switches and routers?

Also, if someone has a very good way of explaining this, I would appreciate
it.

=======================
 R-n = Router Number n
 S-n = Switch Number n
-----------------------
 PRN = Printer
 SVR = Server
 W   = Workstation
=======================

                        1GB BACKBONE
                 ---------------------------
                 |            |            |
               [S-1]        [S-2]        [S-3]
       W-------|||||   SVR--|||||    SVR-|||||
       W--------||||   SVR---||||    SVR--||||
       W---------|||   W------|||    PRN---|||
       W----------||   W-------||    PRN----||
       W-----------|            |            |
                                |            |
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[R-1]~~~~~~~~[R-2]~~~~~~~
                                |            |
                                |            |
                           FRAME RELAY      DSL
                            |   |   |        |
     [S-4]                  |   |   |        |        [S-7]
  W--||||                       |   |                 ||||---W

  W---|||                       |   |                 |||----W
  W----||                     [R-4] |                 ||-----W
  W-----|              |-------|    |                 |------W
                     [S-5]        [R-5]