From: David [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 1:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: (OT) Firewall!!!!

I think another important thing to keep in mind is maintenance cost.
There is a lot of other stuff going on in a Solaris or WinNT box running
Checkpoint, that usually requires basic systems maintenance from time to
time.  With a hardware firewall like PIX or Netscreen, they're designed
to firewall and not require maintenance, and do it fast.  They'll also
reboot in the event of a crash about 10 times faster then a Checkpoint
server, and handle higher traffic loads much more gracefully.  So, in my
opinion, hardware based firewalls are going to be much less cost in
terms of initial investment and ongoing maintenance.

hope this helps ;)
david