Xircom also make a USB to Serial converter.
http://www.xircom.com/cda/page/0,1298,1_1-55,00.html

Albert

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 9:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: notebook PC as console

Sorry if this topic is way out of line and too stupid for most people, but
I'm really a Mac user, so I have an excuse. Because I will be teaching
Sniffer Pro classes, I have to buy a new notebook PC for taking on the
road. (Can't buy a Mac ;-()

My question: I want the PC to also act as a console port to Cisco routers
and switches. It seems from my cursory investigation that a lot of the
notebook PCs don't have a serial port anymore?? Or am I just not looking
hard enough at the spec sheets?

Many of them have a USB port. But does Cisco use USB for its console ports
yet? I don't think so!?

What do you all use for your PC console for a Cisco router or switch?

Once the router or switch is configured, of course I'll use Telnet to an
Ethernet port, but I'm worried about that initial config.

Thanks

Priscilla