Blake,

If your hardware/soft supports it you could create 2 HSRP groups at each
end
and have both groups have a different active router under normal
conditions.
Then you can use 2 default gateways and split them up between the hosts
on each
end. If one router fails the other one will be active for both hsrp
groups
and take all the load.

Of course if you have alot of hosts this might not be an elegant
solution :)

Pablo