nice question.

I would say BGP is way too complicated to be a DV protocol.
clipped from: http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/Topics/117.htm
-Distance-Vector Routing Protocols
This type of routing protocol requires that each router simply inform its
neighbors of its routing table.

The way BGP informs it neighbors and forms adjacencies I would say is why I
would say it is most like a LS protocol, but it is an Exterior Gateway
Protocol.
clipped from:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios11/cbook/ciproute.htm#34601

Configure BGP NeBGP Synchronization Example
In the configuration shown in Figure 19-14, with synchronization on, Router
B does not advertise network 198.92.68.0 to Router A until an IGRP route for
network 198.92.68.0 exists. If you specify the no synchronization router
configuration command, Router B advertises network 198.92.68.0 as soon as
possible. However, because routing information still must be sent to
interior peers, you must configure a full internal BGP mesh.

Like other Exterior Gateway Protocols (EGPs), BGP must completely understand
the relationships it has with its neighbors. BGP supports two kinds of
neighbors: internal and external. Internal neighbors are in the same
autonomous system; external neighbors are in different autonomous systems.
Normally, external neighbors are adjacent to each other and share a subnet,
while internal neighbors may be anywhere in the same autonomous system.
I look forward to seeing other replies.