well, it depends on the employers.  A lot of large enterprise employers
won't look at linux yet because it doesn't have certain reliability
features, and it lacks a long history in the market to prove itself.
But, that's changing quickly because of all the press linux has received
in the past several years including large amounts of support from
Netscape, Sun, HP, IBM, and many others.  And in my opinion, after doing
unix admin for several years, I had no problem moving into
solaris/sunos/irix/hp/bsd administration after knowing linux really
well.  It does, after all, include a mix of features from BSD/SYSv-ish
tools.  Just read the red unix admin bible by Evi Nemeth and friends and
you'll get a good feel for the differences.

Sorry for the topic digression, this is a cisco only list after all.
But, it's been noted in several messages lately that obviously a good
working knowledge of an operating system is necessary to really function
well in a high level position.  It is a piece of the picture, and
knowing capabilities of various operating systems is quite important.
It's like knowing all seven layers of OSI.  How many CCNP/CCIE's out
there understand the frame format's for DS-1, or SONET, or what B8ZS and
ESF actually do?  The OS implements all seven layers.  Most network
engineers work primarily with layers 2-4.  If you understand the
protocols outside these layers well it makes troubleshooting and
understanding networks magnitudes easier.

Back to your original question.  Go get a free ($20 for the media) copy
of solaris x86 from sun's web site, play around, and then focus on what
you can do in linux (like sendmail, INN, BIND, etc) in your resume.  And
by the way, if I remember correctly from a recent linux journal article,
Cisco's entire printing system is run off linux servers, with slightly
modified code.

David