From: Richard Holland [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 5:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: traceroute question

A little bit of strange behavior, first off my setup:

Cisco 2501 with IOS 12.0.9 Enterprise
Cisco 2504 with IOS 11.2 Enterprise

Cross over DTE<->DCE cable connecting their Sync Serial ports together

Right now im running hdlc b/w them, i've tried ppp, frame with maps, no inv-arp, etc.. it made no difference.

then network on the interfaces is 192.168.1.0/30

I have connectivity, ping works great, trace does NOT work hardly at all though.

RouterA-DCE#Trace RouterB

then it hangs for a good 3-4 seconds
normally the trip times are 8ms * 4ms

as you can see, the middle time is a *, debug ip icmp shows the port unreachables being sent and recv'd (two of them).

Now the oddball part is, if you feed it no ip classless, the router broadcasts (255.255.255.255) the icmp packets out all the interfaces except Serial0, unicast on it.. this makes it take even longer! (normally 3 broadcasts 1 unicast/unicast reply, 3 broadcasts, etc)

Any idea what's up?  NO other networks configured on the router (which also gets rid of the broadcasts), routing table just has the connected route to 192.168.1.0/30 out Serial0

Richard Holland
CCNP/MCSE