what will do this is to do an extended ping.
get into enable mode and then type in the command 'ping' and enter.
you will be prompted for more information which most will be intuitive and
mostly choose the defaults.  The line that you dont want to take the default
is the one asking if you want any extended commands then the next line you
can put in the ip address of any of the interfaces on your router or just
the interface name.  I got this cut and past from the following url:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios100/rpcr/74919.h
tm

Router# ping
Protocol [ip]: