On Tue, 30 May 2000, Brandon Peyton wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Can anyone tell me what i can do with this router?
>
> I've got a 2611 who's console port seems to have died.
> When i console into it i get strange ascii symbols
> and then hangs.  I cant telnet from ethernet nor can
> i ping its ethernet.
>
> The console port itself is clean and the console cable
> is working fine ( works with other routers )
>
> Any ideas as to what i can do with this ?

Try different speeds on your terminal emulator.  It sounds like the config
register may have gotten hosed.   Did you recently do a password recovery
on this box?

Sometimes you can guess as to whether your speed is too high or too low
by the length of the lines of garbage.

What happens if you set your terminal up 9600 N-8-1 and power-cycle the
router, then send it a BREAK signal about 10 to 20 seconds after it starts
booting?  Note: use a decent terminal emulator like TeraTerm or CRT, or
minicom for Linux.  Hyperterminal is broken in various ways depending on
the version when it comes to sending a BREAK.

> Is it fixable?  or trash now?

If you think it's trash, please deposit it in my trash can.  I'll even
pay the postage.  :-)

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/