From: Darren Ward [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:05 PM
To: Andrew C. Ohnstad; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fiber questions...

I guess one thing to remember is that Multimode uses a LED as a light source
and Singlemode uses a Laser.

Since the laser provides a more focused and coherent pulse of light it can
travel through fibre over longer distances.

The multimode cable also has a larger core and does not require as high a
specification grade as single mode.
Single mode is usually of a much higher manufacturing quality and clarity as
well over multimode.

So in a laymans nutshell multimode uses a LED to communicate via a larger
core fibre over short distances (Up to 2km).
Single mode uses a Laser to communicate and can travel much longer distances
(90km without regeneration using LX)

I'm no optical engineer either so these are just the basics I've picked up
from study and experience so far.

Darren